Optimal Minerals and Nutrients
In today’s world, there is so much information out there in regards to our health. With so many different professions and so-called experts with different, and at times contradicting, views it can be downright confusing figuring out how to even get started! If only there were a place to start, a foundation, something basic yet profound, something at the ROOT…
At ROOT, we believe there are 5 ROOTS of Optimal Living and we want to share one of those with, the concept of Optimal Minerals and Nutrients. Proper nutrition and diet is probably the most confusing area for anyone to get started in. But just like a car needs the right fuel, our bodies need the RIGHT minerals and nutrients to be able to function optimally. So here a few tips to ensure you are on the right track.
- Eat things that come from the earth – If you set something out on the table and a week later it looks exactly the same that means it was never alive and was likely processed in a factory. It is a safe bet that anything that came from the earth (plants, vegetables, nuts, seeds) is going to have the right minerals and nutrients that our body needs.
- Eliminate the BIG 3- What you should specifically eat varies from person to person but three big things you can cut out today and see some dramatic changes are:
- Refined carbohydrates- breads, pastas, pastries, crackers, chips
- Sugar- high fructose corn syrup, candies, and other sweet treats, sodas or other drinks that contain hidden sugar- like juices
- Refined oils – Canola oil, margarine (any oil can come refined so it is important to check the label)
- Whatever is left is probably good to eat. This includes mostly vegetables, some fruit, organic lean meats and fish, and healthy fats such as avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds.
- Go organic- Foods not grown organically can contain chemicals, pesticides, insecticides, and antibiotics that take away from the nutrients in the food and can actually leach minerals and nutrients from our bodies!
If the prices of organic food is of concern, check out the latest Clean fifteen and Dirty dozen list here to see what foods you must buy organic and those you don’t. Implementing these basic principles is a great start on the journey to optimal health and optimal living. It is easy to get lost in the plethora of advice out there, but remember: Optimal Health starts at the ROOT.